1. The 1689 Baptist Confession of Faith (in modern English) Every once in a while it’s good to go back to your foundation. Reading this confession of faith was like applying water right on the roots of my faith. This book lists all the major doctrines (teachings) of the Bible and explains them with scriptural support. To purchase, click the book below.
2. The Care of Souls: Cultivating a Pastors Heart by Harold Senkbeil What is a “pastors heart?” This is a phrase you hear in ministerial circles often but what does it mean? Senkbeil prefers the term habitus to heart and does an excellent job unearthing the mind, motivation and method of a pastor. This book will benefit those who currently pastor and those who are seeking the office. To purchase, click book below.
3. The Consequence of Ideas: Understanding the Concepts that Shaped Our World by R.C. Sproul Ideas have power. What people think shapes how they behave and see the world. Philosophers hold the seat of power in regards to explaining and unpacking ideas on the nature of the world, people and its systems. In this book, Sproul surveys these philosophers and their ideas and how they have shaped people and culture throughout human history. He gives a fair, though brief, evaluation of each and points the reader to what society would look like if these philosophies were unilaterally adopted. To purchase, click book below.
4. Preaching the Whole Bible as Christian Scripture by Graeme Goldsworthy This book is definitely geared toward those in the preaching vocation whether weekly or occasionally. With an emphasis on biblical theology and understanding the large narrative of Scripture and its themes, this book seeks to help the reader understand each passage in these contexts to make sure that each sermon is faithful not only to the immediate context in which it is found but also faithful to the Bible’s message as a whole. To purchase, click book below.
5. Romans: Exposition of Chapter 1 The Gospel of God by D. Martin Lloyd-Jones Any amount of time you can spend with Lloyd-Jones is a good investment. This volume is no exception. Within the covers you will find a series of sermons Lloyd-Jones preached on Romans chapter one. These manuscripts serve to show the preachers exegetical skill, reasoning and exultation of God through this great chapter. If you are teaching a bible study on Romans or just want to see the content seriously considered, this volume is for you. To purchase, click book below.
Books of the Bible:
Old Testament: Judges, Ruth, 1 Samuel, 2 Samuel, 1 Kings, 2 Kings, 1 Chronicles
New Testament: Matthew, Mark, Acts, Romans, 1 & 2nd Corinthians, Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, 1 Thessalonians.
It was a pretty great year of reading, thank you Lord!
I would love to hear and rejoice with you over how the Lord fed you this past year…leave a comment and share!
*This post may contain affiliate links.