A Shepherd Looks At Psalm 23
The welfare of any flock is entirely dependent upon the management afforded them by their owner.” ~ W. Phillip Keller
“But when He [Jesus] saw the multitudes, He was moved with compassion for them, because they were weary and scattered, like sheep having no shepherd.” (Mt 9:36)
“No other class of livestock requires more careful handling, more dedicated direction than do sheep.” This stirring look into the heart of Jesus, our Good Shepherd, will leave you in awe of the masterful care that Jesus provides for us His sheep. Author W. Phillip Keller, who was himself an actual shepherd, provides in-depth insights into the mind of a shepherd and a detailed look into how much labor is necessary to provide the very best life for them. You will be left stunned at times at all Jesus has done and is doing to show us He loves and actively cares for us each day as we go through this life through the rich descriptions and parallels between our relationship to Jesus and the one between a shepherd and his sheep.
Here are some powerful excerpts from the book:
- “It is the boss–the manager–the Master in people’s lives who makes the difference in their destiny” (33).
- “In the Christian’s life, there is no substitute for the keen awareness that my Shepherd is nearby” (44).
- “In the Christian life, there is a great danger in always looking for the easy place, the cozy corner, the comfortable position where there is no hardship, no need for endurance, no demand on self-discipline” (77).
- “There is no substitute for the Scriptures in coping with the complexities of our social order” (118).
- “Our Shepherd always has our best interests in mind” (149).
This book is timeless and is a must for any serious disciple of Jesus Christ. It’s simple yet beautiful truth create a rich thankfulness in the heart of all true sheep of the Good Shepherd.